9.20.2012

A Geisha Experience

On May 25th 2012
I got to experience dressing like a Geisha! 

I've been taking this course called Geisha in Keio and as part of that class few girls can have the experience dressing up as a Geisha. 

I was lucky to be one of that girl.

The above picture is taken by photographer who was there.
Credits to Okuyama Haruhi.

First step I got my hair done from a professional who has been doing this job for more than 40 years. 

You put in fake hair you see in this picture to make some bumps.



I made three bumps! This is a traditional hair style for maiko.



I then moved to a tea house in Asakusa where other people were already dressing up.






These are the tools to make your face white.


This is how the room looks like.

This is the tabi I was wearing.





Some girls didn't have long hair and couldn't make the maiko hair from there own. 
So they use this wig.




This is me doing the makeup and dressing up.

You put wax all over your body so the paint goes on it better.



You put white all over again.



Then you put on your kimono.

And face makeup!


This is me under the famous "kaminarimon"


From the back.



The pictures below are taken by Okuayama Haruhi.


It was definitely a once in a life time experience.
It was pretty funny talking to the tourist and them thinking that I am actually a Geisha. 
And now understand that it's really hard to dress up as a geisha.
You have wax all over your hair and your body. The makeup is super hard to take off as well.
But you do feel very special and pretty with everything.

I want to thank everyone who helped me have this experience!


No comments:

Post a Comment